Two bodies within one
The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI) is a professional membership organisation for anaesthetists in Great Britain and Ireland. Membership is open to those doctors practising or training in anaesthesia, or allied medical disciplines, principally intensive care and pain medicine. The Association’s motto in somno securitas (safe in sleep) encapsulates the major focus of the AAGBI: safety in anaesthesia.
The AAGBI is formed of two organisations that work closely together: the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, and its charitable arm, the AAGBI Foundation. Different aspects of the work of the AAGBI are conducted by each of the two organisations. The AAGBI headquarters at 21 Portland Place is owned by the AAGBI Foundation, which receives most of its income from a Gift Aid donation from the AAGBI.
|The AAGBI is a Company Limited by Guarantee|
|The AAGBI was founded in 1932 by Dr Henry W Featherstone. Today, the AAGBI represents the medical and political views of over 10,500 anaesthetists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland and, through its overseas membership, has close contact with anaesthetists in many other countries.|
The AAGBI is run by the Council who are elected from the membership for a term of four years. The Executive Officers are elected from within the Council. The AAGBI has a broad constitution that enables it to promote and advance education, safety and research in anaesthesia, as well as the professional aspects of the specialty and the welfare of individual anaesthetists. The AAGBI has been responsible for initiating or promoting all major developments in British and Irish anaesthesia, and continues to thrive. It issues and revises guidelines and advice, and encourages and supports specialist societies. The AAGBI continues to raise the profile and enhance the image of anaesthetists to the public.
Primary objectives of the AAGBI:
- To advance and improve patient care and safety in the field of anaesthesia and disciplines allied to anaesthesia.
- To promote and support education and research in anaesthesia, medical specialties allied to anaesthesia and science relevant to anaesthesia.
- To represent, protect, support and advance the interests of its members.
- To encourage and support worldwide co-operation between anaesthetists.
|The AAGBI Foundation is a charitable Company Limited by Guarantee|
‘Promoting patient safety,education and research’
The charitable arm of the AAGBI, previously known as the ‘Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland Education and Research Trust’ (the E & R Trust), is now known as the AAGBI Foundation. The AAGBI Foundation is a registered charity governed by a board of trustees (who include AAGBI elected council members, officers and vice presidents).
Primary objectives of the AAGBI Foundation:
- The advancement of public education in and the promotion of those branches of medical science concerned with anaesthesiology.
- The promotion of study and research into anaesthesiology and related sciences and the publication of the results of all such study and research.
- The advancement and improvement in patient care and safety in the field of anaesthesiology and disciplines allied to anaesthesiology in all parts of the world.