Independent private practice

Anaesthetist at work Some anaesthetists work independently in the private sector in their own time, as well as working for the NHS. A few work in private hospitals full time. Most private hospitals require that all their doctors, including anaesthetists, are on the specialist register of the GMC and either hold or have held a substantive consultant or senior specialist post in the NHS.

The relationship between private doctors, their patients and the insurers is described by the Federation of Independent Practitioner Organisations (FIPO)

AAGBI has published a Voluntary Code of Practice for billing private patients. Download pdf »

You should request a quotation for anaesthetic services before surgery and check with your insurer if these fees will be covered by them. Your anaesthetist has no obligation to charge within the insurers reimbursement maxima, although many choose to do so.

If you have further questions please contact the Honorary Secretary of the AAGBI